Here are some things to remember.
- Be patient. The majority of people who join a gym will be gone within the first 3 months. Don’t be that person.
- Don’t know how to do something? Ask somebody.
- Hire a trainer for the first 3 months. Invest in yourself. Make it a good trainer though.
- Learn about your body. Learn about why pain happens, how to minimise injury, how to move well.
- Comparison is the thief of joy. If you want an ass like Kim K go hire a terrible surgeon.
- Push, pull, press overhead, squat, lunge, twist, hinge and walk/run. Learn to do all of these well.
- Realise nothing about the process is linear. You will have setbacks. Learn from them, don’t dwell on them.
- Try different things. Training never has to be boring.
- You can never go past a good strong pair of glutes. The stronger your butt the better.
- Learn the compound moves, especially the squat and deadlift. They’re not completely necessary but they are very powerful.
- If you want to lose body-fat, the only two things that should concern you are you energy balance and protein intake.
- Keep things simple, always. Overthinking will sink you every time.
- Train with a friend. People who do are more likely to stick at it.
- Group classes are great, but learn to move well outside of them. Rep after terrible rep will lead to injury eventually.
- Find what you enjoy, do that often.
- Do stuff that you don’t enjoy as well. Do it before the stuff you like.
- For God’s sake, get stronger.
You were born to be strong.