In any lift, you are the wedge between the barbell and your base of support.
In the squat:
- Make your approach to the bar the same every time.
- Take a little time to stretch out to obtain a comfortable position.
- Get tight. Brace hard, pushing yourself into the bar to remove any slack from your body.
- Don’t walk out too far. Just enough to not hit the rack is fine.
- Don’t take too many steps trying to find the right position. Take note of where your stance is most comfortable.
- Deep breath.
- Hold your breath on the descent.
- Expel your breath when you get back to the top.
Practice, practice, practice.